Scaffolding Bromley , as known as scaffold or staging, is a skeleton structure built temporarily around a building to support the structure being constructed. It also acts as a platform for workmen to carry out regular construction work. A scaffold is made out of metal or timber as it needs to be sturdy and be able to support the weight of the construction material and the workmen while they are doing construction activities.
There are a few types of scaffolding based on the type of construction:
- Single scaffolding: This is one of the oldest and most basic methods of scaffolding. It is used mainly for brick masonry, which is why it is also known as bricklayer scaffolding. This kind of scaffolding has standards, ledgers, putlogs which link to the wall at a distance of approximately 1.2 meters. Ledgers are used to join the standards vertically at a distance of 1.2 to 1.5 meters and the distance between the standards is in the range of 2 to 2.5 meters. The distance between the putlogs is 1.2 to 1.5 meters.
- Double scaffolding: Double Scaffolding is also known as independent scaffolding. It is used primarily for stone masonry jobs. As it is hard to make holes in stone walls for putting putlogs in them, two scaffoldings are used to create a sturdy structure. The first row is at a distance of 20 to 30 cm from the wall, the second one is at a meter’s distance from the first. The structure is made stronger by using cross braces and rakers.
- Trestle scaffolding: In this type of scaffolding, the working platform is supported on movable tripods or ladders. This is normally used for work done inside a room, like restorative work, work on paintings, repairs, etc. It has a height of up to 5 meters.
- Suspended scaffolding: Suspended scaffolding is where the working platform is suspended from the roof using wire ropes or chains and it can be raised or lowered to the height required. This kind of scaffolding is used in repair works, pointing, paintings, etc.
- Cantilever scaffolding: This is also known as single frame scaffolding. In cantilever scaffolding, the standards are supported by a series of needles that are pulled out from holes made in the wall. Cantilever scaffolding can be used when the top of the wall is being constructed, when the ground cannot support the standards or when the ground is close to the wall and doesn’t have traffic.
- Steel scaffolding: Steel scaffolding is where steel tubes are used, which are set by couplers so it is easy to assemble and disassemble. Steel scaffolding has a lot of benefits but is also dearer. It offers more safety during construction for the workmen as the structure is fire-resistant, strong, and durable. Steel scaffolding is used in constructing big structures outdoors.
- Patented scaffolding: This kind of scaffolding is made out of steel but it also has special couplings and frames. These are premade scaffoldings that are found in the market. In patented scaffolding, the working platform is made from brackets adjustable to any required level.